Monday, March 7, 2011

Vanilla Sugar

I procured some vanilla beans from my friend Kate and decided to whip up some vanilla sugar. I have seen it at the German deli and always thought it would be so fun to bake with! I made it, baked with it and I was right… :o)

Here’s all you do:

Pour 3-4 cups of granulated sugar into a quart sized canning jar (wide mouth is easier).

vanilla sugar 02

Split and scrape 3 vanilla beans and place the beans and the scrapings into the jar with the sugar.

vanilla sugar 03

Stir to combine.

vanilla sugar 04

Place lid on jar and put in a cool dry place for 2-3 weeks. Shake every week or so.

Pour sugar through a sieve to remove as much vanilla bean as possible and pour back into canning jar to store.

vanilla sugar 05I used my sugar to make a batch of cookie stamp cookies. Rolling them in the vanilla sugar gave them a very light and delicate flavor! Yummy!

vanilla sugar 01

No comments:

Post a Comment