Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Rhubarb Bars

I went to make these on Sunday, got on my blog and couldn’t find the recipe… How could I have not shared this one already??? I’ve been making it for nearly 20 years and it has been a family favorite for even longer than that!

I was hoping to get a picture of a nicely cut bar with the leftovers from the church picnic, but there weren’t any leftovers. They cleaned me out! Everyone loved them! Some people didn’t even know what it was. A couple of people said they wouldn’t have tried one if I told them it was rhubarb while eating their second one…

Yeah, it’s a good one!

1 1/2 cups sugar

4 Tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 cup water

1 teaspoon vanilla

4 cups chopped rhubarb

Mix sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan. Whisk in water and vanilla. Add rhubarb. Cook over medium heat until thick, stir often.

1 1/2 cups oatmeal

1 1/2 cups flour (I use 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup butter or shortening

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter or shortening until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Reserve 1 cup and press remaining mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.

Pour filling over oatmeal mixture. Sprinkle on remaining crumbs.

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cut into bars while warm.

rhubarb bars - The Backyard Farmwife

No comments:

Post a Comment