Thursday, December 31, 2009

Chicken & Dumplings

For me, this is the ultimate comfort food! It was a special treat growing up and my brother’s favorite food EVER! This isn’t my mom’s recipe, but I do like it. It’s also not a very exact recipe…

Just to warn you… I realized that the picture doesn’t make it look very appetizing. I promise you that it tastes much better than it looks.

Pour 6 cups of chicken stock and 1 Tbsp butter into a large pot on medium/high heat. Put in cooked/shredded chicken breast, sliced carrots, chopped onion, sliced celery and salt and pepper to taste.

chicken n dumplings 01 I love the flavor of the celery leaves! But you gotta take ‘em out before adding the dumplings… :o)

Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, make dumplings:

1  1/3 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/8 tsp salt

4 Tbsp oil

1/2 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Then stir in milk and oil till combined.

Whisk together 1/2 cup cold water and 1/2 cup flour in a small bowl. Stir into pot, bring to a rolling boil.

Drop spoonfuls of dumpling dough into the boiling chicken. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

chicken n dumplings 02

Be sure to carefully sneak a spoon under the dumplings while cooking to make sure the chicken doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.

chicken n dumplings 03

No comments:

Post a Comment