Thursday, May 15, 2014

Coconut & Chocolate Macaroons

It’s hard to believe that once upon a time I HATED coconut! Now I can’t even imagine hating coconut. I LOVE the stuff! I’ve had a craving for real honest-to-goodness coconut macaroons for a while now. This seems funny considering the last time I had one I could hardly even keep it in my mouth…

But today I made a batch. They were perfect! They didn’t spread, they were chewy and moist and covered in dark chocolate… Mmmmm!!!

I will be making these again real soon!

1 14oz bag of sweetened shredded coconut (5 cups)

4 large egg whites

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon almond extract

3/4 cup chocolate chips

1 Tablespoon shortening

Preheat the oven to 325. Line baking sheet with parchment and spray the parchment with cooking spray. These suckers are sticky!!!

Beat the egg whites, sugar, and extracts with an electric mixer until they are foamy but not white. The sugar might not be completely dissolved, but don’t worry about it.

Stir in the coconut. Mix well.

Pack the mixture into a cookie scoop good and tight. Place on the papered and sprayed baking sheet. You can make them small or a bit larger. But I wouldn’t go bigger than 2 Tablespoons…

Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges start to brown. A bit of the tops will start to brown, too. Don’t overbake them! They will be super dry and icky!

Remove from the oven. Let them cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before removing from the baking sheet. Cool on wire racks.

After the cookies are cool, melt chocolate chips with shortening in microwave. Melt for 1 minute. Stir well. Melt in additional 15 second increments until completely melted and smooth.

Either did the bottoms of the macaroons into the chocolate or drizzle over the tops. Store in the fridge for 3-5 days or freeze for longer storage. But I’m guessing they won’t be around that long…

coconut chocolate macaroons - The Backyard Farmwife coconut chocolate macaroons - The Backyard Farmwife

No comments:

Post a Comment