Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thumbprint Cookies

I remember often having these at Christmas growing up, but seldom make them now. But since I have 4 jars of mint jelly on my shelf, I decided this year I would add them to the list. I think they’re even better than I remember…

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup softened butter

1/4 cup shortening

1 egg, separated

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 cup flour

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 cup chopped nuts

Jelly

Cream together sugar, butter, shortening, vanilla and egg yolk. Stir in flour and salt.

Shape dough into 1” balls. Beat egg white slightly. Dip balls in egg white and then roll in nuts. Press thumb into center of each cookie.

Bake on ungreased baking sheets at 350 for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove immediately and let cool. Fill “hole” with jelly.

thumbprints 01thumbprints 02

No comments:

Post a Comment