Monday, April 25, 2011

Chili & Cornbread

About 15 years ago I baked cute little cakes in widemouth canning jars for Christmas presents. About a month ago I began to have the urge to bake things in canning jars again. The first experiment: chili and cornbread.

chili in jars 01

All I did was heat up some of my homemade Crock-pot Chili in a saucepan and spoon it into some pint-sized wide mouthed canning jars. But you can use any chili you like…

chili in jars 02 Then top the chili with a bit of shredded cheese.

Mix up a batch of cornbread. My favorite is Jiffy corn muffin mix! I have never found a recipe for scratch corn bread that I like as much as Jiffy…

Top each jar of chili with some corn bread batter.

chili in jars 03 Place jars on a baking sheet and bake at 375 until corn bread is golden brown. About 12-15 minutes.

chili in jars 04 WARNING! These jars will be VERY HOT! Let them cool a bit before serving.

My other favorite part of chili & cornbread is that the jars fit perfectly on my can lid coasters!

chili in jars 05

No comments:

Post a Comment