Sunday, December 23, 2012

Cheesy Ham & Scalloped Potatoes

We usually end up having this every holiday because we usually end up with leftover ham… It’s pretty easy and for me, one of those comfort foods I just love!

ham & potatoes - The Backyard Farmwife

First I really thinly slice about 6-8 medium potatoes with my PC slicer. I just slice them right into my greased 9x13 baking pan.

ham & potatoes - The Backyard Farmwife

Toss in some cut up ham.

ham & potatoes - The Backyard Farmwife

Then mix in about 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese with the potatoes and ham.

Then you need to make your white sauce.

Melt 1/4 cup butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook 1/4 cup finely chopped onion in the butter for about 1 minute.

ham & potatoes - The Backyard Farmwife

Add 1 heaping Tablespoon of flour and salt & pepper to taste. Whisk together and quickly stir in 2 cups of milk. Whisk until smooth.

ham & potatoes - The Backyard Farmwife

Heat until thick and bubbly and then continue to cook for 1 minute.

ham & potatoes - The Backyard Farmwife Pour over potatoes.

ham & potatoes - The Backyard FarmwifeCover with foil and bake at 375 for 1 hour.

ham & potatoes - The Backyard FarmwifeWhile potatoes are baking, make breadcrumbs for the top. (You can also use store bought breadcrumbs.)

I just take a cooled piece of toast and run them in my food processor until fine crumbs.

ham & potatoes - The Backyard Farmwifeham & potatoes - The Backyard Farmwifeham & potatoes - The Backyard Farmwife     Mix 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar in with the bread crumbs.

ham & potatoes - The Backyard FarmwifeAfter potatoes have cooked for 1 hour, remove the foil and top with breadcrumbs and sprinkle with paprika.

Place back in oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

ham & potatoes - The Backyard Farmwife

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try this my dear! Thanks! Sounds yummy! Great way to use the Easter ham!

    ReplyDelete