Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Egg Nog Logs

Every year I make a new Christmas cookie along with all the oldies. This year I had to try my friend Annalise’s recipe for egg nog cookies. The past few shaped cookies I have made have turned out to be quite labor intensive and/or difficult. This one was perfect because I have always been good at making snakes, worms and ropes with clay! Actually, it is the only thing I can make out of clay… :o)

Unfortunately we were snowed in without any egg nog. Fortunately, one can always improvise. So I am going to share my tweaked version since I don’t know how the original ones turn out. But I do know that these were FANTASTIC! They may become a new “oldie”!

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup butter, softened

3/4 cup sugar

1 large egg

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 teaspoons rum flavoring

Mix flour, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and flavorings. Slowly mix in the flour until smooth.

Roll into 1/2” diameter ropes and cut into 3” pieces.

eggnog logs 01

eggnog logs 02

Bake on greased or parchment paper lined baking sheets at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until barely a golden brown.

Remove and let cool completely before frosting. 

Frosting:

3 tablespoons butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon rum extract

2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon cloves

1/8 teaspoon allspice

2-3 tablespoons milk (or use egg nog and omit the spices and rum extract)

nutmeg, for sprinkling (optional)

Mix butter, vanilla, rum extract, powdered sugar,spices and milk in mixing bowl with electric mixer until very smooth. This icing will be thick.

Frost cooled cookies with icing and sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.

eggnog logs 03

These are amazing with a cup of coffee on a cold winter day!

No comments:

Post a Comment