Monday, April 16, 2012

Tom Sawyer Donuts

Today my 15 year old son had to make donuts for a school project. I really thought he would consider himself too old to do it, but I was wrong… It involved donuts! LOL

He did a great job! I am embarrassed to admit that I never taught my boys to cook. I enjoyed the alone time too much. But it is a whole lot easier when they are 15 and you just tell them to do something or read the recipe and do it and they do… I didn’t even always have to be in the same room while he did it. ;o)

They turned out great! They aren’t Krispy Kremes, but they are just as good as the donuts we buy at the little stand at Pike Place Market in Seattle!

donuts 04

Now, I’m pretty sure the boys are going to expect homemade donuts more often…

First: Pour 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice in a measuring cup. Add milk to the 1/2 cup line. Let sit for 15 minutes. Stir.

Then pour 1/2 cup of very hot tap water into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of yeast on top of the water. Sprinkle 1/8 cup flour on top of yeast. Lightly mix and let sit 5-10 minutes, it will start to get foamy.

Add the milk and the following ingredients to the yeast and water mixture.

3 Tablespoons melted butter

3 Tablespoons sugar

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups flour (I used a bit of whole wheat flour, too)

Stir to make a soft dough. Add more flour if needed to make it stiff enough to knead.

Knead for 5 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Knead in more flour if it is sticky. You will end up using about 2 1/2 to 3 cups total.

Roll out to about 1/2” thick. Cut out with donut cutter. (I used a biscuit cutter and an apple corer for the centers)

Place on baking sheet, cover with thin towel and set aside in a warm place to rise for about 45 minutes. (I turn my oven to the lowest temp for about 5-10 minutes while kneading and then turn it off)

donuts 02(this is what they look like after rising) 

Heat oil in deep fryer to 375.

Carefully place donuts, a few at a time, into the hot oil. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.

donuts 01

Place on a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Then roll in cinnamon sugar.

donuts 03

Eat them while they are still hot. They are the best when still warm!

donuts 04

2 comments:

  1. Finally! A small-ish recipe for making donuts. All of my recipes make so many that I never make them. Thanks for posting this. I found you on Little House Living.

    ReplyDelete