Saturday, January 10, 2009

Spiced Rum Cake

All I heard about this Christmas was Susie's (my uncle Rick's wife) Rum Cake. She got it from "The Taste of Oregon" cookbook. I had my sister e-mail me the recipe and I finally ran to the liquor store and made it.
 
Everyone was right. It is moist and delicious! There aren't many cakes that we really like, but this is one of them. I am sure it will become a regular around here.

Spiced Rum Cake

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1 18 1/2 ounce package yellow cake mix
1 3 3/4 ounce package yellow instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup spiced rum

Glaze:
1/4 pound butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 - 1/2 spiced rum

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube or 12 inch bundt pan. Sprinkle the nuts over bottom of pan. Mix next 6 cake ingredients together and pour batter over nuts. Bake 1 hour and cool. Invert on a serving plate.

Glaze: Melt butter in sauce pan; stir in the water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Prick cake top. Drizzle and smooth prepared glaze evenly over top and sides, allowing cake to absorb glaze. Repeat until glaze is used up.
 
rum cake 01

Serve plain or with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment