Saturday, July 16, 2011

Raspberry Jam With a Kick

I wasn’t sure where I was going with this recipe, but it turned out rather well. I’m wondering if it will become spicier as it sits, but for now it has a subtle flavor that I can’t quite pick out (and it’s not pepper… LOL). I think it will be just right for corn bread or on bagels with cream cheese.

I think I’ll possibly warm my sugar every time I make jam from now on…

4 cups sugar

Warm sugar on a shallow pan in a 250 oven for 15 minutes. (It dissolves better warm.)

raspberry jam 03

4 cups fresh raspberries

6-8 dried red chili peppers

Bring raspberries to a full boil over high heat. Mash the berries as you heat them.

raspberry jam 02

Boil hard for 1 minute, still constantly.

Add sugar and peppers, return to a boil and cook until thick and gels on the back of a spoon.

raspberry jam 04

Remove peppers and place two in each jar.

raspberry jam 05

Fill hot sterilized jars to 1/4” headspace and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from canner.

raspberry jam 2 01

No comments:

Post a Comment