Monday, February 6, 2017

Almond Toffee Macaroons

It's hard to imagine that I only started liking coconut at all in the last 8 years or so. I must have been crazy! :)

I made lemon curd today and had 6 egg whites that I didn't just want to throw down the garbage disposal. So I made cookies instead. Yummy coconut cookies with toffee bits I had in my freezer from Christmas and chocolate drizzle...

4 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon each of vanilla and almond extract

Beat this until foamy but not white. Don't worry if the sugar isn't totally dissolved.

Mix in 14 ounces of shredded coconut and about 1/2 cup of toffee bits.

Pack tightly into balls (about the size of a walnut) with wet hands to keep them from sticking too much to your hands.

Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Or use a slipat that you've sprayed. These suckers are sticky!

Bake at 325 for 20 minutes or until golden on edges and a bit on top.

Let cool on baking sheet on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing.

After they have cooled, drizzle them with melted chocolate chips with a bit of coconut oil for stability at room temp.


No comments:

Post a Comment