Friday, February 4, 2011

Lemon Curd

I have always been afraid to make anything cooked with eggs. You know, things like custards or hollandaise sauce. I can make scrambled eggs fine, but those things should be smooth not lumpy. But when my sister made lemon curd this last week, I decided it was time to get over that fear.

So when I saw some lovely yellow Meyer lemons at the local produce stand, I just had to overcome my fear.

lemon curd 01

The first thing to do is to juice LOTS of lemons. Enough to make 1 cup of juice.

citus peel 02

Separate 6 egg yolks from the whites.

Press the yolks through a sieve into a heavy saucepan to remove whites.

lemon curd 02Add 1 cup lemon juice and 3/4 cup superfine sugar and whisk until just combined.

Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.

lemon curd 03Heat until thickened and it coats the back of the spoon. This will take about 20 minutes. (So turn on some good tunes and be ready to stir)

Then remove from heat. Cut 1/4 cup butter into 4 cubes. Stir in 1 cube at a time, stirring until melted.

lemon curd 04Pour into jars or plastic freezer containers, leaving a headspace for freezing.

lemon curd 05

Chill until set. Then freeze.  

Now make some scones and have a tea party!

No comments:

Post a Comment