Thursday, December 8, 2011

Almond Butter Toffee

After my first failed attempt at making toffee, I was certain that my candy-making skills ended at the soft-ball stage. But I tossed the candy thermometer, flew by the seat of my pants and everything turned out hunky-dory!!!

First thing to do is line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and butter it.

Then mix the following ingredients into a 2-quart saucepan.

1 cup sugar

1 cup butter or margarine (I used half butter & half margarine)

1/4 cup water

Cook on high heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is completely dissolved, smooth and golden brown. Don’t forget to keep stirring!!! You have this on high heat!

Immediately remove from the heat and pour onto the cookie sheet. Spread out to about 1/4” thickness. Let stand about 2 minutes.

Sprinkle with 1/2-1 cup chocolate chips. Let stand for about 5 minutes or until all the chips are shiny. Then spread over toffee. Immediately sprinkle with almonds, or other chopped nuts of your choice.

Let cool on counter or in fridge until firm. Break into bite-sized pieces. Store in cool place or fridge in airtight container.

toffee 01

I guess I can make it to the hard-crack stage after all… ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment