Monday, January 21, 2013

Easy Lefse

We haven’t had really good Norwegian lefse since leaving MN almost 8 years ago… Friends there seemed to make it perfectly and gave me this great easy shortcut recipe for traditional lefse that is super delicious! Unfortunately I am still getting the hang of making the stuff. It’s not very tender, not rolled quite thin enough and not even close to a circle shape. I call it “rustic”. ;o)  I’m sure my boys wish I would just get more practice so I’d get better at it. We’ll see, we’ll see…

lefse - The Backyard Farmwife

Boil together:

5 cups water

1/2 cup lard or shortening

1 Tablespoon salt

1 Tablespoon sugar

lefse - The Backyard Farmwife

When lard is melted, add 2 cups milk.

lefse - The Backyard FarmwifePour over 8 cups potato flakes (instant mashed potatoes).

lefse - The Backyard FarmwifeLet cool overnight in fridge.

lefse - The Backyard FarmwifeAdd 2 cups flour. Mix well and divide into 2 or 3 balls. Keep the dough you are not working with in fridge to keep cold.

lefse - The Backyard Farmwife

Cut off small pieces and roll out on heavily floured cloth. Brush off excess flour.

lefse - The Backyard FarmwifeCook on griddle at 450 on both sides.

lefse - The Backyard Farmwife  Let cool on wire rack covered with a towel.

lefse - The Backyard Farmwife Serve warm with butter and cinnamon-sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment