Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mexican Chocolate Torte

I love dark chocolate with chili! My friend Kate called me one afternoon to tell me about the spicy chocolate cupcakes she made with cinnamon and cayenne, and I was inspired! In my head I pictured a rich dark chocolate cake with cinnamon and chili, covered in ganache with a hint of orange.

I did a bit of research, a bit of tweaking and came up with what I think is just what I had in mind!

*We ate half of the cake the first night and it was good. We saved the other half for Will’s confirmation party 3 days later and it was AMAZING!!! Letting it sit for a few days really brought out the spice of the chili and made it extra special good!

Cake:

1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon chili powder (you can use hot or mild chili powder or a combination of both)

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon cinnamon

3 eggs, beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300.

Line with parchment paper and grease an 8” round cake pan. Dust with cocoa powder.

Mix sugar and spices in a small bowl.

Mx choco torte 02

Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler.

Mx choco torte 01

Remove from heat and stir in sugar and vanilla and beaten eggs. Mix well. Mixture will become thick.

Mx choco torte 03

Spread in pan and bake for 30 minutes.

Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Then remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.

Mx choco torte 04

Ganache:

Bring 1 cup of heavy cream JUST to boiling. Pour over 1 1/2 cups of dark chocolate chips. Stir until melted and smooth. Let cool a bit before spreading over cake.

Place in fridge until ganache is set.

Just before serving warm some orange marmalade in the microwave for about 15 seconds.

Serve cake in thin wedges with marmalade spooned on top.

Mx choco torte 05

No comments:

Post a Comment