Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pear Perfection

I may have discovered the secret to perfect canned pears! Unfortunately, I may not be able to reproduce the results ever again…

It may have been the beautiful bartlett pears I bought at Payton’s Produce here in town.

It may have been the ideal conditions in our basement bathroom to bring them to just the ideal ripeness in only two days.

perfect pears 02

But I think it was the fresh lime juice that I squeezed into the soaking water while they waited to get packed into the jars. It was the only thing I had to keep them from discoloring and I was too lazy to go to the store I squeezed half a lime into each bowl of water and then dropped the half a lime into it, too to float around with the pears.

They didn’t discolor one bit! They look perfectly white in the jars! You wouldn’t even know I had canned them….

perfect pears 01

I also raw pack my pears. Shhh! Don’t tell because technically you are supposed to hot pack them.

I was actually thankful one of the jars didn’t seal so we could try them. Not only do they look gorgeous, but they taste FANTASTIC!!!

Here’s to hoping I can do it again next year…

No comments:

Post a Comment