Friday, October 7, 2011

Sausage Bean Soup

My friend Annalise of Sweet Anna’s just threw together this soup in August (yes, the beginning of August was soup weather in the NW. Ugh!) and I saved it just waiting for Fall to arrive. And just like Annalise, I made it by throwing together stuff I had in the pantry (or freezer), so there are some little changes: I used bulk sausage instead of links, cooked my onion and garlic with the sausage (I’m also a very lazy, no, time efficient, cook), and used beef broth instead of chicken. Oh, and unfortunately I didn’t have a parmesan rind (but I really wish I did).

The original recipe is HERE and mine is as follows…

1 pound bulk pork sausage

1/2 onion, chopped

2 carrots, sliced or chopped

3 cloves of rough chopped garlic (I used 6 in ours)

5 cups beef broth

2 cans beans, drained but not rinsed (I used kidney and black)

1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

2 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp cracked black pepper

Brown sausage in olive oil in a large stockpot. Before it is completely cooked, add onion and carrot and cook until soft. Be sure to scrape up all the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.

Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 to 3 hours. Serve with thick slices of warm bread.

sausage soup 01

No comments:

Post a Comment