Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pie Pumpkins

I have been drooling over the pumpkin recipes floating around the internet and aghast at the price of canned pumpkin at the grocery store. Thank goodness our local produce stand had lovely sugar pie pumpkins! I bought six of them…

Here’s all you need to do to have “better than canned” pumpkin for all your favorite fall recipes:

Wash a pie pumpkin (not a carving pumpkin).

Place it in your oven at 350.

pumpkin 01

Prick them with a fork every 30 minutes until they are tender.

Remove from oven. They will have turned this gorgeous brownish-orange color!

pumpkin 02

Pop off the stems.

pumpkin 03

Cut the pumpkin in half. Scrape out the seeds and “guts”.

pumpkin 04

Scoop out the pulp with a spoon.

pumpkin 05

Let pulp cool in fridge. Then puree in food processor.

pumpkin 07

Measure into 1-2 cup portions and place in freezer bags.

pumpkin 08pumpkin 09pumpkin 10

Use in your favorite pumpkin recipes!

7 comments:

  1. oh, this looks like the easiest way- ever! thanks for sharing a great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much easier than other ways I've tried thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful way to cook them, but I would miss the seeds to cook and eat. Kay Tohline

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you could still clean the seeds and bake them to eat Kay--I am going to try it. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wondering if you got the pumpkins at the new little produce stand in CR and if they still have some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I got them from my neighbor. She grew a ton of them in her garden. But I did see that Winco still had some yesterday...

      Delete