Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Irish Chocolate Cupcakes

I know that St Patrick’s Day is over but I just needed these cupcakes today! And I have to tell you that they did the trick… I used to think I didn’t like cake, but I just wasn’t doing it right. Now, I’ve got it figured out! ;o)

cupcake 05 This recipe is a variation of the Irish Car Bomb cupcake from the BrownEyedBaker. I’m sure her recipe is even yummier, but I have to confess that my bad day needed something a little quicker.

The cupcake was so good that it may become the basis for many more recipes to come…

Cake:

1 devil’s food cake mix

1 cup Guinness stout

1/4 cup sour cream

3 eggs

1/2 cup oil

Beat on medium high speed for two minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl, occasionally.

Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes, or until pick comes out clean.

Let cool on wire rack.

Remove centers of cupcakes with an apple corer.

Eat the plugs… LOL

cupcake 01Filling:

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 Tablespoon butter, at room temperature

2 teaspoons Jameson Irish whiskey

Bring cream to simmer over medium heat. Pour over chocolate chips. Let stand 1 minute. Stir to combine. Add butter and whiskey. Stir well to mix.

Put in fridge and let it thicken enough to pipe into cupcakes. I do this by putting the ganache into a zipper bag and clipping the corner off. Works great and easy clean-up!

cupcake 03 

Frosting:

1 cup butter, at room temperature

2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar

3-4 Tablespoons of Irish cream

Beat butter on medium high speed for 5 minutes. Scrape bowl occasionally. Gradually add powdered sugar until it is incorporated. Add Irish cream and beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.

Frost filled cupcakes.

cupcake 04 Find friends to share them with because you can only eat ONE of these babies!

cupcake 05

No comments:

Post a Comment