Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cranberry Orange Shortbread

I took my favorite shortbread recipe and gave it some color with cranberries and orange. I thought they looked beautiful! My oldest son walked into the kitchen and asked, “What’s up with the meat cookies?” What??? They don’t look like they have meat in them and they certainly don’t taste like it. I promise! ;o) I dipped a few in dark chocolate just for fun, too!

shortbread 03 1 cup softened butter

1 cup sifted powdered sugar

1 tsp orange extract

grated zest from 1 orange

2 1/4 cups flour

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries

Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla. Mix in flour and salt with hands or stand mixer. Mix in cranberries just before fully mixed. Mold into 1 log, wrap in wax paper and chill overnight. Slice about 1/4 inch.

shortbread 01

Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. Just until edges begin to turn golden. Be very careful not to overbake these!

shortbread 02Remove from baking sheets immediately to keep them from baking further.

No comments:

Post a Comment