Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Old Fashioned Apple Raisin Pie

For my second all by myself pie attempt, I decided to really go out on a limb and make up my own recipe. While paging through some vintage 1930s to 50s cookbooks, I found several versions of raisin pie. My mom said that they reminded her of mincemeat. Really??? Apple mincemeat is one of my favorite pies!

So I pieced together a few of the recipes, threw in some apples and spices and came up with my own apple raisin pie. And I have to admit that it turned out pretty incredible! I know what I will be making next Thanksgiving…

Apple Raisin Pie - The Backyard Farmwife

3/4 cup brown sugar

3 Tablespoons instant clear gel (if you don’t have this, you can try cornstarch in the hot liquid but I can’t promise the results)

grated zest from 1 orange

1/2 cup orange juice

2 Tablespoons lemon juice

1 1/4 cup cold water

dash salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1.4 teaspoon cloves

1 cup raisins

1 cup peeled, chopped apples

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 400.

Mix brown sugar, clear gel and orange zest in a small bowl.

Apple Raisin Pie - The Backyard Farmwife Combine water and juices in a medium sized saucepan. Whisk in sugar/clear gel mixture until smooth and thick.

Stir in raisins and apples.

Apple Raisin Pie - The Backyard FarmwifeAren’t these gorgeous raisins?

Apple Raisin Pie - The Backyard Farmwife 

Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (it will probably already be pretty thick), stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes while stirring.

Remove from heat.

Apple Raisin Pie - The Backyard FarmwifeThen roll out pie crust and line a 9” pie plate.

Pour hot filling into pie crust. Roll out and place crust on top. Cut vents into the crust.

Apple Raisin Pie - The Backyard Farmwife

Cover crust edge with foil (I LOVE the pie shield I bought!!!) and bake for 20 minutes.

Apple Raisin Pie - The Backyard Farmwife

Remove foil and bake for another 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Apple Raisin Pie - The Backyard FarmwifeServe pie slightly warm or room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream.

Apple Raisin Pie - The Backyard FarmwifeIf you are keeping your pie more than a day, store the leftovers in the fridge.

Apple Raisin Pie - The Backyard Farmwife

No comments:

Post a Comment