Monday, November 24, 2008

See's Fudge

My parents got this recipe years ago from a little old lady that they delivered firewood to. The legend goes that she had asked See's Candies if they could send her their fudge recipe. They did, along with a bill for $350. She paid the bill and then gave the recipe to everyone she knew. I have no idea if any of it is true, but it is the best and easiest fudge recipe I have ever made.

Melt 1 12oz bag of chocolate chips with 1 stick of butter in a large bowl in the microwave for 45 to 60 seconds. Stir until smooth.

Sift 4 cups of powdered sugar into a large mixing bowl. Whisk in 2 beaten eggs (or 1/2 cup pastureized egg product) and 1 tsp vanilla until very smooth.

Pour chocolate mixture into sugar mixture and mix well.

Pour into buttered 8x8 baking pan. Score when soft. Place in fridge. Cut when firm.

Variations:

Rocky Road: stir in mini-marshmallows and chopped walnuts
Snoball: stir in mini-marshmallows
Mint: use mint flavored chocolate chips or peppermint extract instead of vanilla



Snoball Fudge: our favorite

plain fudge

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks for sharing this with me! I think this will be the winning recipe that I use to auction for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, a correct and exact Original See's Fudge recipe! I have been making this recipe since I was a kid over 20 years ago. I have it written down (and mostly memorized) in my recipe box. Still I decided to Google it to see what was out there. I was greatly disappointed to discover the many false recipes claiming to be the Original See's Fudge. I'll give everyone a big clue - if the recipe calls for standard sugar and doesn't have raw eggs, it's NOT See's Fudge! Thanks for posting this accurate recipe of the most delicious fudge ever made. I look forward to making some with my daughter later today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came across this recipe and it sounds yummy but what about raw eggs? Doesn't it need to be cooked for health reason or am I missing something ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I suggest using the pasteurized egg product. You can buy it in cartons at the store where the eggs are. Not only do you not have to worry about raw eggs but they are already beaten for ya, too... :)

    ReplyDelete